Tuesday, May 14, 2019

PORTLAND REDISCOVERED



Almost three years to the day after I left Portland to begin this Foreign Service gig, I returned home to spend a bit over a month rediscovering this place I call home – and, most importantly, reconnecting with all the family and friends here who make this place home. 
Yep - this feels like home

You’ve all heard of the principle that if you wash your car, it will rain the next day?  Well, I have discovered the reverse principle:  If you buy a new raincoat, the sun will come out for the next month.  After a few cloudy, drizzly days at the start of our visit (and my purchase of a new raincoat), the skies cleared, and we have been treated to one of the most beautiful springs I can remember.  I knew that a visit to Portland in the spring would at least treat us to blooming bulbs and flowering trees, but the warm, dry days were an unexpected gift.  I wasted no time getting in some hikes around town and walks through lots of different neighborhoods to take it all in.  
Tulips make me happy.

Trillium was in full bloom on my first hike back in Portland.

There is a lot that hasn’t changed – the mountains are still spectacular, everything is still green, our favorite restaurants are still delicious, there are still food cart pods, and Portland is still as weird as ever.  But I see lots of changes from how I left things three years ago.  New buildings are going up, a lot of them, everywhere.  Traffic is constant.  Everything seems busier.  I don’t want to sound like the grumpy old “in my day” codger, but it’s tough not to reminisce about how things used to be. 
In the category of things that haven't changed: waterfalls...

...ice cream at Salt & Straw...

...and Portland keeping it weird.

In the category of things that are new, a ping pong bar.  I actually think the beer improves my game.

Part of the trick of planning “home leave” (as the State Department calls it), is figuring out where to stay and how to get around without a house or car during “homeless leave” (as I call it).  Fortunately, we have amazing family and friends who came to our rescue and offered us refuge during our time here.  Bonus #1: We got to stay in and explore lots of different neighborhoods.  Bonus #2: We got to dog-sit!
Our "brunch club" reunion.

Dog sittee #1: Gali.
Dog sittee #2: Maverick.

Spending several weeks here afforded us the opportunity to catch up with almost all of our family and friends here at one point or another.  We got to celebrate my mom's birthday and Mother's Day with her in person.  We were also able to visit with out-of-town friends who ventured up to Portland to see us.  We are so lucky to have found so many amazing and generous friends.  You all know who you are.
Happy birthday, MM!

The whole crew I used to work with at the National Fish & Wildlife Foundation.
Our visitors from Santa Cruz enjoying a cart pod dinner...
...and a hike at Mt. Tabor.

Andrew and Joe, keeping it weird AND hipster.

Of course, we didn’t spend all our time in Portland enjoying artisanal pour-over coffee, admiring the latest hipster beard styles, and perusing the shelves at indie book stores.  We also had lots to do to get ready for our upcoming move.  And Andrew was still working full-time at his job.  We had to rent a storage unit to hold all our accumulated stuff.  Except for the two suitcases we will carry with us, all that stuff will be packed up and shipped off in a couple days.  After that, we’ll have a final week to get in our last visits with all our favorite Portland people and places. 
Did I mention that we've eaten our way through Portland?  Exhibit A: Voodoo Donuts.

Exhibit B: Por Que No, because por que no?
Exhibit C:  Ruby Jewel.  That smile is courtesy of fluffernutter ice cream.


As I write this, it is raining here for the first time since the second or third day we were here.  The weather reports make it look like it will continue raining for the rest of our time here.  Not going to lie – I am kind of happy to see the clouds return and to know that they will be here when we head off to our next destination.  I know that as much as Portland may change, the clouds will always be here, and the rain will always keep things green.  I’ll look forward to rediscovering it all again next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment